TASTY APPLE KRAUT
This is my families favorite cultured food. It’s a tasty sauerkraut made with cabbage, apples and slices of fresh orange. Its quick and easy to make and the whole family can participate in making it. Add this to your breakfast, lunch or dinners and give your family healthy probiotics that help improve digestion and add healing benefits to your gut. This recipe uses a starter culture instead of Whey to ferment. I find that my veggies ferment faster and with more consistency using a starter culture. Click here to see what I use.
- 2 heads Local Green Cabbage
- 4 apples
- 1 orange
- 1 packet culture or 2 T whey
- 3 cups filtered water
- 3 tablespoons Real Salt
- Begin by mixing your 3 cups filtered water with the 1 packet of culture and 3 T. Real Salt. Let sit while you prepare your cabbage and apples.
- In a food processor, shred the 4 apples and 2 heads of green cabbage and place in a large bowl.
- Mix apples and cabbage together with hands to incorporate.
- Slice orange into 1/4 inch slices. Place along the sides of your Jar.
- Place shredded apples and cabbage into jar with the orange slices against the glass. The cabbage and apples will sit inside the orange slice. Fill jar leaving 3 inches head space for the veggies to expand while fermenting.
- Pour water, salt and culture mixture into jar over the cabbage and apples. Fill Jar with additional filtered water until the vegetable are completely covered.
- Put top on jar and let sit on counter to ferment. Taste after 3 days. If you like the taste, place in the refrigerator. If you would like it more sour, let sit on counter tasting each day until you have your taste preference.
- Store in refrigerator up to 9 months.
- A delicious sauerkraut filled with healthy probiotics that your whole family will love.