Sourdough Bagels- Cooking With Gabe
Gabe is my 10 year old who loves to cook. Anything we try in the kitchen he likes to have hand in. Today we decided to try sourdough bagels. It’s a first for both of us and honestly I don’t know why I waited so long to try them. They were SO EASY! Yes, there is an extra step of boiling them for a minute- but given that it only takes a minute and then you pop them in the oven for 15 minutes- It’s not a big deal.
You will want to use your sourdough starter that has been fed and is active. I used a combination of flours. 1/2 Organic white unbleached flour and 1/2 freshly ground Prairie Gold wheat. This recipe made 18 bagels. Hopefully they will last a few days but with 4 kids, I’m thinking I’ll be making another batch in a few days. They are that good!
- 1 c. active sourdough starter
- 3 cups Organic Unbleached Flour
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Prairie Gold Flour
- 1 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 T celtic salt
- 1 T baking soda
- Mix your starter, water, coconut oil, salt and flours in your kichenaid mixer with the dough hook. It will make a fairly firm dough. Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Put in the oven with the oven light on. the oven is not on- just the light. Let the dough rise for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours- place the dough on the counter and press into a rectangle. Cut the dough into 18 equal pieces. Taking once piece at a time- push your thumb thorough the center and then shape the dough into a bagel shape. Place on parchment paper after it is shaped.
- When all 18 bagels have been shaped- let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large pot or large skillet- fill 1/2 way with water and the 1 T baking soda.
- Place as many bagels as will fit without having them on top of each other. Cook 1 minute flipping 1/2 way. Remove from water and place on a greased stoneware pan.
- Using an egg wash- rub egg on top of bagels and sprinkle with toppings of choice. We used sesame seeds for some and himalayan salt for others.
- Cook in a 450 degree oven for 13-15 minutes.