Red Lentil soup with chicken and quinoa
Wednesday’s are busy days and nights for me. I need a simple, quick meal that everyone will love. With 5 people in the house that can be super tough. Especially since I have 2 that don’t eat meat. But they will eat bone broth. Red Lentil soup was hit tonight and easy and satisfying for my whole crew. I kept the chicken on the side so those that didn’t want it could still enjoy this nutrient dense meal.
I started by making some chicken bone broth in the crock pot last night. I put the bird in the crock pot with enough water to cover and added 2 T apple cider vinegar and let it sit to brine for an hour. Then I turned it on low and let it cook all night and all day. Low and Slow!
Today-When it was done and falling off the bone I removed the chicken and strained the broth. This was the broth that was used to make the soup. I saved the meat to add to the soup later. Red Lentils make this soup a family favorite. It’s loaded with healthy veggies, healthy fats and lean protein. I buy my chicken from Creekside farms– a local sustainable family farm here in Concord. I order directly and pick them up from the farmers market on Saturday morning. Every chicken I have bought from them tastes amazing. Give them a try if you are local.
Feel free to make this your own. Add different veggies to your families liking and get creative too. My next batch may have kale or spinach to get another healthy dose of greens.
- chicken bone broth from 1 medium chicken ( approx. 3-4 quarts )
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1/2 onion
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 2 T. Olive oil
- Basil (I made an ice cube tray with fresh basil and olive oil during the summer- I used 1 cube)
- 2 t. Real salt
- 1T Braggs Organic Sea Kelp Delight
- 2 medium red potatoes chopped small
- 2 quarts chicken bone broth for the quinoa
- 2 cups soaked quinoa ( 2 cups soaked in water and 1 T whey for 6 hours )
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onion, carrot, garlic and celery until soft. About 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking place your red lentils in a large stock pot with the chicken bone broth.
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 10 minutes. Add in salt, Sea kelp seasoning, basil, cilantro, potato and sautéed veggies. Let cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir often to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- While the lentil soup is cooking, prepare the quinoa. After the quinoa was soaked, I cooked in chicken bone broth that I had in my freezer.
- To serve i just let everyone spoon the soup into bowls. I keep the quinoa and the chicken on the side and let them add in as much as they like.
- Serve with Creme Fraiche for some additional probiotics and creaminess to your food.