Beet, Ginger, Cabbage Kraut
My NEW favorite kraut to eat is this super food of beets, ginger and cabbage. It is full of taurine that helps your digestion and supports your liver and gallbladder. Plus all the powerful gut healing that comes with raw fermented vegetable. So healthy! And the taste is so incredibly good that it has become a side to lunch and dinner consistently. This may quickly become one of your favorites too. Serve this on your holiday table with the pretty color from the beets and your family will get a healthy dose of cultured veggies too!
- 1 large beet
- 1 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 medium head of green or red cabbage
- real salt
- 1 packet starter culture or 2 T whey
- Begin by mixing your 1 1/2cups filtered water with the 1 packet of culture and 1 1/2 T. Real Salt. Let sit while you prepare your cabbage, beets and ginger.
- In a food processor, shred the Beet, ginger and head of green or red cabbage and place in a large bowl.
- Mix the veggies with hands to incorporate.
- Place shredded veggies into jar. Fill jar leaving 3 inches head space for the veggies to expand while fermenting.
- Pour water, salt and culture mixture into jar over the veggies. Fill Jar with additional filtered water if needed until the vegetable are completely covered.
- Put top on jar and let sit on counter to ferment. Taste after 3 days. If you like the taste, place in the refrigerator. If you would like it more sour, let sit on counter tasting each day until you have your taste preference.
- Store in refrigerator up to 9 months.